Friday 1 January 2010

Day 1

The instructions provided are very clear and simple to follow. That doesn't mean I didn't spend a substantial amount of time trying to work out what a valley fold was (turns out a valley fold is when you fold it to look like a V, pretty straight forward).

Today's origami creation was a nightingale (i don't even know what a nightingale looks like in real life so I was already at a disadvantage there).
  • Stage one (fold the paper in half) was pretty easy.
  • The next stage seemed just as easy (folding the front flap back upwards). However, it is this stage that I got wrong twice and caused me to have to undo the whole thing and start again. You see, the instructions forget to tell you that you have to fold the flap back up at a very certain position, otherwise you end up with either a triangle at the end, or a very very odd looking nightingale.
  • The next stage involved my first encounter with a valley fold (see above). then I came across what is known as a mountain fold. Once again, I was baffled. A careful reread of the helpful key provided with the origami calendar informed me that a mountain fold makes a mountain. essentially its an upside down valley fold. once this fold was completed I had my nightingale.


Really? As already mentioned my first attempt gave me a lovely triangle. I undid the whole thing and started again. During my second attempt I was a little over enthusiastic with my second fold and ended up with a very chubby nightingale. By the third attempt I finally had it sussed. I dont think it looks like a nightingale at all.




No comments:

Post a Comment